Americans with Disabilities Act Compliance
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities. All ACSM events, including regional chapter functions, must be in full compliance with the law. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you plan your upcoming meetings to help ensure compliance with the Act-
- Include the following statement on any registration forms- “Please notify the chapter by (insert deadline at least one month out from your meeting) if you need any type of special accommodations as a result of a disability.” The chapter must take steps to make reasonable accommodation for any request. If you need guidance on how to deal with a request, ACSM staff can help.
- ADA compliance and related issues should be included on hotel specification sheets and RFPs (request for proposals). When selecting meeting sites, be sure to ask whether or not facilities and services are accessible.
- Hotel and event venue contracts must contain a clause indicating that the facility or company meets ADA requirements. An example would be: "The Hotel/Facility ensures that the meeting facility meets with the accessibility requirements as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)." It is also recommended that the contract contain an indemnification provision in which the facility agrees to assume full liability for the accessibility of the venue and to reimburse the organization for its fees and expenses in defending any suit brought against the organization regarding the accessibility of the venue.
- Secure a list of local service providers to those with disabilities. The Convention Services Manager, or a member of the hotel staff, will almost always have access to such a list in case you need to make any accommodations.
- As stated, ACSM is ready assist with any questions you may have when planning your events or dealing with specific issues as they arise. It is important that ACSM and the regional chapters comply in all respects with the provisions of ADA but we should also view the Act as an opportunity to extend the reach of our events to all audiences. Contact ACSM staff with any questions.