Health fitness professionals, health care practitioners, and students are gathered this week at ACSM's 20th annual Health & Fitness Summit & Exposition - taking place March 29-April 1 in Orlando. Follow all the action online by looking for the hashtag #ACSMSummit16, or learn more about educational & career opportunities at acsmsummit.org.
As I walk through the Expo Hall, I am in awe because there are so many exhibits and great people to talk with about their products. I find myself running out of time quickly before going on to the next talk or presentation! Unlike many other conferences I attend each year, none of the exhibitors are trying to sell me the next best thing in exercise programs or an attractive outfit or a piece of "you gotta get this equipment in your gym." Instead, they are great to talk to about the next trend in the fitness industry, and I don't feel the pressure to buy it. Love it!
Dr. Thompson's tips for getting the most out of your visit to the ACSM Summit Exhibit Hall:
- Take your time when visiting the Expo Hall and check out all the great products.
- Talk to the representatives of the companies there - who knows, you may work for them one day! (if you are looking for a job).
- Pick up some of the free samples while talking with the company representatives.
- Make sure that you get a business card from the company representatives; you may need it one day.
- If something or someone or some product interests you, revisit the Expo Hall often and get your questions answered.
- Have fun!
Walter R. Thompson is associate dean for graduate studies and research and a tenured Regents' Professor of Kinesiology and Health (College of Education & Human Development) and in the Department of Nutrition (Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions) at Georgia State University in Atlanta. He will begin his term as ACSM president-elect in May.