ACSM Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (CEP) Webinar Series Outline and Information
Prepare for your ACSM CEP exam from the comforts of home! To meet candidates' busy lifestyle, ACSM offers convenient webinars that allow candidates to prepare learn and study at their own pace. Single sessions are available but if you register for the 6-week series and miss a class, no worries - audio and PowerPoint presentations are available following each webinar for 6 months.
The webinars will run on any platform with Adobe Flash. To test your computer, please click here.
Webinar sessions are 90 minutes.
Each individual webinar session is worth 1.5 ACSM CECs and cost is $45 per session.
The entire 6-session series is worth 9.0 ACSM CECs and cost is $240 for all six sessions.
View all upcoming ACSM Workshops and Webinars.
Cardiovascular, Metabolic, and Pulmonary Disease
This webinar session will detail specific aspects of cardiovascular, metabolic, and pulmonary diseases that pertain to the Certified Exercise Specialist. Epidemiology, physiology, and treatment related to exercise and wellness programming are discussed.
At the conclusion of this session, participants are expected to understand the following:
- Pathological basis for developing common cardiovascular disease, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Common treatments for above disease processes and the effect of exercise intervention for each disease.
Applied Exercise Physiology
Exercise science principles and applications to the clinical management of cardiovascular disease risk factors, chronic diseases, and exercise testing. Topics include acute and chronic physiologic effects of aerobic and resistance exercise, oxygen transport and consumption, caloric expenditure, and muscular contraction physiology.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be expected to understand:
- Exercise physiology principles related to safe and effective exercise testing and prescription including oxygen consumption, cardiac function and exercise responses, gas exchange principles and arterio-venous differential, and effects of exercise on caloric expenditure.
- Effects of exercise on cardiovascular disease risk factors and ACSM risk stratification matrix.
- Exercise responses to chronic diseases and environmental conditions including heat, cold, and altitude.
Electrocardiography and Diagnostic Testing
Principles of cardiac physiology related to electrocardiography (ECG) interpretation and basics of ECG analysis are discussed. Diagnostic exercise tolerance and stress testing principles, procedures, protocols, and testing considerations are outlined and discussed.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will have a greater understanding of:
- Cardiac muscle physiology and the effects on ECG readings in healthy and diseased heart tissue.
- ECG lead-placement, skin preparation techniques, and trouble-shooting during monitoring.
- Indications, contraindications, procedures, and protocols related to diagnostic stress testing.
Rhythm Strip Identification and 12-Lead ECG Interpretation
Common ECG rhythm strips are identified and discussed as well as 12-lead ECG's frequently seen in clinical exercise settings. Pathologies, acute consequences, and potential treatments for myocardial infarctions, arrhythmias, and special cardiac rhythm abnormalities are discussed.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will have a greater skill for:
- Identifying single-lead ECG rhythm strips commonly seen in a clinical setting by exercise professionals.
- Interpreting normal and commonly seen pathological 12-lead ECGs in diagnostic exercise testing settings.
Metabolism and Metabolic Equations
Substrate metabolism and caloric expenditure related to obesity, underweight conditions, and metabolic disease. Metabolic equations for exercise prescription, including practical and clinical examples are presented and discussed.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will further understand principles related to:
- Metabolic processes and energy production.
- Caloric expenditure and requirements for exercise and daily activity.
- Metabolic calculation application and execution with examples related to exercise prescription.
Clinical Exercise Prescription
Aerobic, resistance, and flexibility exercise prescription guidelines for healthy populations. Cardiac, metabolic, and pulmonary disease patient exercise prescription guidelines are discussed in detail.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Safe and practical exercise prescription techniques for healthy populations.
- Understand safe exercise prescription as an intervention for chronic diseases covered in session #1.
- Apply current guidelines for resistance, aerobic, and flexibility exercise programming to patient populations and clinical settings.
- Innovations in exercise programming for special populations and risk factor management programs.
Note to candidates:
- Workshop and webinar costs do not include the cost of the exam or study materials.
- Workshops and webinars are intended for entry to intermediate level participants.
- Post workshop/webinar study will be required for achieving ACSM certification.
- Workshop and webinar attendees can earn ACSM CECs for attending; however, these CECs can only be used for existing certifications.